Moving bands policy for the Great Western Youth Band
- There are currently two bands and a percussion ensemble within the organisation:
- The Rising Stars Band (rehearsal time: 45 minutes per week)
- The Youth Band (rehearsal time: 1 hour 30 minutes per week)
- Percussion Ensemble (rehearsal time: 45 minutes per week)
- The age of a member is not taken into account when deciding whether he/she should move to the next band.
- Most children take part in music exams with their respective teachers, but not all. Therefore, qualification of a particular grade is a useful guide into someone’s ability, but not a deciding factor1
- When there is some degree of overlap of standard; children are often invited to attend two bands.
Moving bands policy
- A member of GWYB is moved bands when:
- They are of the appropriate standard to comfortably understand the more difficult repertoire of music.
- There is an opportunity to fill a vacant position in the next band.
- The methods of identification are:
- Discussions between the regular conductor(s) of each band.2
- Discussions between tutors and the regular conductors.
- Discussions between committee and regular conductors.
- Further considerations made by the committee are:
- Process of reversing a decision.
- In the event of a member or parent not being happy with the decision to move bands, this should be discussed immediately with the relevant conductor of the particular band. Justification of the move and/or a solution should be resolved quickly in order to prevent a detrimental effect of the move.
1 Regardless of grade, individuals tend to have varying sight reading skills, repertoire, tone, range etc
2 The committee may favour a rarer instrument (Trombone, Soprano Cornet, Bass, Percussion)
3 The committee may decide to wait if 2 or 3 close friends are due a move but one may not be quite up to standard.
4 Some members find attending 2 rehearsals is too long, or work/other activity commitments etc.